CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Go

I remember as a little girl hearing my grandmother say, "God helps those who help themselves." For years I thought it was a Scripture verse, but years later, after I became a student of the Bible, I discovered that it was just a "food for thought" quote. Somewhere in the crevices of my souls I embraced this theology, but the other day I read these verses. Nehemiah said, "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10 NIV

Nehemiah paints a beautiful picture for us today,
“….send some to those who have nothing prepared.” At the time this Scripture was written, it was a time of spiritual renewal for the Jews, who came back from captivity. They were hearing the Scripture read from morning until noon, and celebrating the Feast of Tabernacles. Nehemiah and Ezra wanted the people to be joyous and encouraged them to enjoy choice food and sweet drinks. One other instruction must be taken into consideration. “Go and send some to those who have nothing prepared…” is practical biblical teaching. Let us find some sad and needy person for whom there is no one else to care for. Let us pray for someone who has no one to pray for them. Let us be like Him who one day gave His life and His all, and came to those who would not appreciate God’s holy gift, but rejected His only Son. Let us not be afraid to know something of the love that is thrown away on the unworthy. How Christ must weep over the selfishness that He sees from those for whom He died.

Today would you be willing to say with the prophet Isaiah, “Here am I, Lord,
send me.” Will you heed the call from Heaven and “..... Go and send some to those who have nothing prepared?” After all didn't our Master teach that when we have served the least, we have served the King of Kings.

Make me a blessing.
Make me a blessing.
Out of my life - may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing
Oh, Savior I pray.
Make me a blessing to someone today.

3 comments:

Rae Nolt said...

MOM! I love it! Love you more!

Kristi Butler said...

Sweet Dixie, you are always such a blessing to me!!!

Love you!

Jean said...

AMdn! I remember as a child that my mama ALWAYS cooked way more food than we needed for supper. We'd usually wind up having left-overs, but that 's not the reason Mama cooked too much. She told me many times, "Well, you never know when company might drop by and I always want to have extra for them. Just in case."

Her Mama did the same. And my mother-in-law. Always prepared extra-just in case.

Your post makes me realize that spiritually, I need to prepare for those who haven't prepared yet. I need to always be prepared just in case the Lord sends someone by.

Thanks,Dixie.

Jean

Total Pageviews

Hee Hawlelujah!

Baby Jesus is Missing

Stubby's Destiny

One Noble Journey

Angel Eyes

Give Your Author a Kiss Month

Cinderfella and the Furry Godmother

Book Sneeze

I review for BookSneeze

Rated G

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou - Free Dating Site

Stilts the Stork is here!