Saturday, January 2, 2010
Tiny Angel by Nancy Carty Lepri
In a day and age when chapter books for tweens can sometimes be more hype than substance, Nancy Carty Lepri's Tiny Angel is a breath of fresh air. When ten-year-old Macy Carver's dad is transferred to a new town, Macy leaves behind everything she knew even her best friend. Suddenly she is the new kid on the block and is the recipient of cruel bullying. Then, she receives an unexpectant heavenly visitor - her guardian angel Jody.
There are numerous positive lessons children can learn from Tiny Angel.
1. The gift of compassion - Macy's keen discernment helps her look beyond herself and extend friendship to Tommy, a needy boy in her school.
2. Another perspective - Macy gives readers another view from her pew. She is able, through the help of her guardian angel Jody, to see beyond herself.
3. Generosity - Macy could have been selfish and kept the award money she won from the spelling bee competition, but instead she sees a need greater than herself and donates her money to help those in need.
4. Convictions - Macy's life reflects her heart of mercy for the underdog while continuing to stand up for what you believe in even if it means being rejected.
5. Educational - Children will hone their spelling skills when they attend the spelling bees with Macy and her friends.
6. Faith - Little hearts will grow in their faith when they fall in love with Macy's guardian angel Jody and learn that only faith can devour fear.
Macy isn't some goody-two-shoes. Ms. Lepri pulls back the curtain and allows us to see Macy's struggles.
I think Tiny Angel should be read in elementary schools everywhere. It would open up dialogue about bullying and how devastating it can be to an individual and teach students the lost art of compassion.
If you want a great book with some character building lessons tucked in every chapter for the children in your life, you will want to get a copy of Tiny Angel.
You can purchase Tiny Angel by Nancy Carti Lepri at http://www.guardianangelpublishing.com/tiny-angel.htm. While you are there, you may want to look around at some of their other amazing books.
Created by OnePlusYou - Free Dating Site