CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Monday, August 1, 2011

A Wise Old Owl


I love to write for children, but I also enjoy writing inspirational pieces that help encourage and mend broken hearts. The following is a devotional I wrote just before our son gave his daddy the gift of life on June 12, 2008. On Father’s Day weekend in ’08, my husband had a kidney transplant. Our only son John saved his daddy’s life.
__________

A few years ago I heard our son’s voice calling, “Mom, come quick! You’ve got to see this.”

I stumbled down the narrow hallway, anxious to discover what he was so excited about. There in our neighbor’s yard in broad daylight was a barred owl sitting on a mound of freshly fallen snow.

“Isn’t she beautiful?” John pointed at the frightened bird.

I nodded my head as we walked towards our fine-feathered friend. She was in distress and wildly flapping her wings. It was obvious that one wing was broken and she needed help. My husband called our local Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and explained the situation. “The owl is wounded and needs medical attention.”

“We are just swamped, Reverend Phillips. It will be a few hours before we can get there.”

We watched as the owl fidgeted and fluttered to get to a safe place. After a long struggle, she nestled down under a pickup topper. Throughout the day we could hear her screeching. Our son plugged his ears. “She sounds like a newborn baby crying for her mother.”

Hours later, the conservation officer arrived. “I forgot my net, but I have a burlap bag I might be able to catch her with.”

We inched our way to the frightened bird. The officer spoke softly and tossed a burlap sack over the owl. I marveled the bird showed no sign of resistance. No wings flapping and no screeching. What shocked me the most was she made no attempt to fly away! She sat very still and almost seemed to know the officer was there to rescue her.

At that time, our family was facing a crisis of their own. My husband had been diagnosed with End Stage Renal Failure and needed a kidney transplant to survive. We had “flapped” and “screeched” hoping to change the situation, but all our anxiety and fearful thoughts only caused our stress levels to spiral out of control.

Who would have thought God could speak peace to the storm raging in my soul through an owl.

“Lord, I give the future to you.” I prayed.

Throughout the rest of the week, when I was tempted to “flit and flutter,” and become restless in my spirit, I remembered the placid owl. As I prayed, I sensed His peace and knew He was throwing His mantle of mercy over our family.

Maybe you are anxious about a storm you are facing. Today allow the Holy Spirit to calm the storm in your soul and throw His mantle of mercy over you. You’ll never be sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. And yes, I'm almost always anxious about a storm ... well said :) I'm your latest GFC follower - hope you can stop by my place soon too. shaunanosler.blogspot.com

Connie Arnold said...

What a precious gift your son gave to his dad! And how wonderful that God gave you the gift of peace through the experience with the owl. Thank you for sharing it. Blessings to you!

Total Pageviews

Hee Hawlelujah!

Baby Jesus is Missing

Stubby's Destiny

One Noble Journey

Angel Eyes

Give Your Author a Kiss Month

Cinderfella and the Furry Godmother

Book Sneeze

I review for BookSneeze

Rated G

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou - Free Dating Site

Stilts the Stork is here!