CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2008








Grandma Eleanor was the stabilizing force in my life for as long as I can remember. Her wisdom and common sense echoed in the corridoors of my soul, long after she passed away. After her death, it seemed the grief would come in waves, and cast shades of suffocating bereavement throughout my day. I would always find comfort in the Scriptures and consolation in the old hymns about Heaven. But one day as our family was embarking on a new adventure, I was stung by this painful reality - Grandma Eleanor wouldn't be part of our family's joyous celebration.

Rebekah, the first of our four children was married on August 9, 2008. As we were making wedding preparations, I discovered a treasured picture of Grandma Eleanor cradling our newborn Beka in her arms. Hot tears slipped down my cheeks.

"Oh, Grandma, I wish you could be here. You would know exactly how many pounds of strawberries and bananas we need for the chocolate fountain." I whimpered.

Rebekah and I had tried to think of a theme for her wedding and decided since she was marrying Zacharia David Fox - 'The Fox Tale Begins' would fit the bill. We had hunted for tiny, imitation foxtails, in hopes of making cute wedding favors with our witty slogan attached, but we weren't having any luck. We gave up and chose an entirely different theme.

I couldn't stop staring at the picture of my beloved grandmother. "Oh, Grandma, you would be so proud of Beka and Zac. They love the Lord and have surrendered their lives to His work." I whispered.

Suddenly a verse from Hebrews smoldered in my heart.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1 NIV

A small box caught my eye. I remembered when Grandma Eleanor had died my father had given me a box which held a few of her knick-knacks. Inside the plain, cardboard box was a tiny package with a stained Martha Washington one and one-half cent stamp fastened in the right corner and a faded label addressed to Mrs. Eleanor Holtz. I lifted the lid off and gasped when I saw a tiny foxtail attached to a white leather bookmark that was etched with a gold imprint of a fox.

It was a "God wink" for me and it brought such comfort to my grieving soul. As my fingers traced the soft foxtail, I pondered the delightful, heavenly gift. Could it be that Grandma Eleanor was a member of that great cloud of witnesses? Could she be cheering us on? Is it possible she already knows that her great-granddaughter will be married this summer? I may never know this side of Heaven the answers to my questions, but this one thing I know - The Holy Spirit takes great pleasure in comforting grieving hearts. So, I will dry my wet eyes and rejoice as our family's Fox tale begins!

No comments:

Total Pageviews

Hee Hawlelujah!

Baby Jesus is Missing

Stubby's Destiny

One Noble Journey

Angel Eyes

Give Your Author a Kiss Month

Cinderfella and the Furry Godmother

Book Sneeze

I review for BookSneeze

Rated G

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou - Free Dating Site

Stilts the Stork is here!